Keir Choreographic Award 2022
Applications open now
The Keir Choreographic Award (KCA) is a national biennial award dedicated to the commissioning, presentation and promotion of new Australian choreography.
Choreography in the 21st Century is an increasingly expanded and international field, incorporating a multiplicity of practices and production modes, and a diversity of aesthetic, philosophical and social perspectives. The KCA looks to identify and illuminate the most urgent and experimental choreographic practices occurring in the Australian context today.
The KCA public program, with its array of national and international jury members, panellists, guests and workshop leaders, runs concurrently with the performance season, providing a vital context for related and relevant discourse, reflection and debate.
Who is this for?
KCA invites Australian artists with a professional practice, to propose a choreographic idea for an original live performance work. Artists from across the career spectrum, from established to emerging, are encouraged to apply. Eight applicants will be selected to develop and present a completed live work in two cities in professionally supported conditions. The work must be between 16 and 20 minutes long and involve no more than five performers. Either the applicant OR one of the main collaborators MUST be a choreographer.
How it works
To enter, make a video (maximum 5 minutes) outlining a new choreographic idea. Each submitted application will be assessed by a jury of national and international industry peers. Eight artists will be commissioned to develop a work of up to 20-minutes over a five-month period — February to June 2022. Each artist will receive a $12,000 all-inclusive commissioning fee, for development and production costs. They will also receive 100 hours of free rehearsal space in the city or region in which they reside.
Each of the eight commissioned works will be presented at both Dancehouse, Melbourne, and Carriageworks, Sydney, before one is selected as a recipient of the $50,000 Keir Choreographic Award 2022. Additionally, audiences will vote for the recipient of the $10,000 Keir Choreographic 2022 Audience Award.
Applications Open: 9 November 2021
Applications Close: 5pm 13 December 2021
Unsuccessful Applicants Notified: 21 January 2022
Commissioned Artists Announced: 8 February 2022
New Works Developed: 8 February to 18 June 2022
Performance Seasons: 19 June to 3 July 2022
How To Apply
- Read the FULL APPLICATION GUIDELINES AND AWARD REGULATIONS
- Make a video of no longer than 5 minutes and no more than 2 gigabytes in file size presenting the choreographic idea. Upload your video to WeTransfer
- Download and complete the ENTRY FORM including a WeTransfer link and filling out the budget template
- Submit your completed form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All entries must be received by 5pm Eastern Standard time, Monday 13 December 2021
Late or incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Applications longer than 5 minutes will NOT be considered.
All applicants will be notified on Friday 21 January 2022 of the jury’s decision.
If commissioned, artists must be available for seasons at both Dancehouse and Carriageworks [inclusive of technical rehearsals and travel days] Sunday 19 June – Sunday 3 July 2022.
- ALL artists selected for the Carriageworks season will present their work in both cities.
- Your full touring party must be confirmed and disclosed when applying.
- Any additions to your touring party after selection will not be allowed.
- Any changes to your artistic team after selection may not be permitted.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your WeTransfer link is working, downloadable and included in your application form.
- Uploading large files to WeTransfer may take a while. Please ensure you have enough time to submit your working link by the closing time.
For more information contact:
Ashley Dyer, Dancehouse Program Manager
email@example.com / 03 9347 2860
Please ensure you have read the FULL APPLICATION GUIDELINES AND AWARD REGULATIONS prior to contacting Dancehouse.
The Keir Choreographic Award is a partnership between Dancehouse, The Keir Foundation and the Australia Council for the Arts, with presenting partner Carriageworks.