Take time. Create. Play. Practise. Make Art. Travel. Connect. Circulate. Exchange.
Be alone. Be together. Be with.
In 2021, Dancehouse is piloting a new residency program: On Residence, offering Australian independent dance artists time, space and cash to create and connect with Dancehouse’s network of dance-loving organisations and their communities in outer-metropolitan and regional Victoria and NSW.
This paid opportunity is flexible and adaptable. It moves with you, your project or work, and the host partners’ specific context. On Residence supports any stage of a dance project or work’s development from initial research through to creative development. This first round of On Residence will support at least 6 residencies between July 2021 and June 2022.
On Residence is a direct pathway to future presentation or realisation of projects with Dancehouse from 2022 — this might be on site at Dancehouse or offsite through affiliated partnerships or contexts.
With On Residence Dancehouse will support artists to develop works and projects at any stage, establish relationships and connections with Dancehouse, communities, practices, and partners. The program draws on Dancehouse’s experience cultivating similar meaningful alliances internationally.
Locally and globally, our collective experience of COVID and climate emergency demand we connect and form stronger local networks and deeper relationships.
EOIs are now closed.
2021/22 Host Partners
On Residence host partners and opportunities in 2021–22 (in order of distance from Dancehouse, North Carlton):
Garambi Baan / Laughing Waters | Eltham, Vic
Burrinja Cultural Centre | Upwey, Vic
Punctum | Castlemaine, Vic
Centre for Dance Research, Orbost | Orbost, Vic
FLING Physical Theatre | Bega, NSW
Bundanon | Illaroo, NSW
Click through to view information about each partner’s On Residence opportunity.
For Artists On Residence
Although each residency offer is different, the fundamental principle of On Residence is that it shouldn’t cost you to participate. Artists are offered resources to enable a waged and expenses paid residency.
As a baseline, each On Residence is offered:
- A cash fee of $2,500 (equivalent to 1 artist for 2 weeks, or 2 artists for 1 week)
- Access to at least 2 weeks of space On Residence with the host partner
- Accommodation either on site with the host or nearby
Additionally, some On Residence recipients will be supported with:
- Per diems for up to 2 weeks for 1 person (at $372.04 per week).
- Ground travel including: MYKI, petrol, car use or car hire where applicable
- Access costs (e.g childcare, support workers)
Each On Residence offer may be adapted or scaled depending on the artist’s or project’s needs, additional resources, and the host partners’ capacity. Some host partners may offer additional resources and/ or paid or unpaid opportunities: workshops, exchanges with local artists and communities, production support, equipment, creative mentoring, producing support.
Although not necessary, if invited to be On Residence, artists may also leverage the opportunity or extend the residency through grants or their own resources.
Artists are welcome to apply from interstate but only ground travel from within Victoria or NSW is available. No flights will be covered.
How to apply
Dancehouse accepts Expressions of Interest for On Residence by project.
Lead artists may submit one project for consideration but may select multiple On Residence opportunities.
The Expression of Interest form uses Airtable. You don’t need to log-in or set-up an account.
The form requires some basic contact information and then requires you to attach 2 x 1 page documents (Word or PDF only). These attachments are the key component of the Expression of Interest and can be written in a way that best supports you and your project. See more information about these attachments below.
No budget is required.
Within two days of the closing date, Dancehouse will notify you that they have received your application.
EOIs are now closed.
- About You and Your Project (1 page)
This document should share a bit about you as an artist and outline the project you would like to develop. Ideally, the project would be of interest to Dancehouse for presentation in 2022 onwards.
How you use this one page is entirely up to you. You are welcome to include images, hyperlinks, writing, bios.
The project and any potential future Dancehouse outcome may take any form: performances, public programs, films, events, installations, community engagement, publications, research sharing, lecture, seminar, workshop.
- On Residence: how and why (1 page)
This document should let us know how you’d like to work and spend your time On Residence. It can include both creative and practical information.
You or your project might have a specific connection or relevance to one of the On Residence opportunities. If so, please explain how.
You are welcome in this section to also indicate specific requirements or conditions e.g. working with community or in larger groups, access needs, non-availability, lack of a driver’s licence, or that you will undertake the residency with your family present.
The Expression of Interest has three stages:
- Expression of Interest | open access
- Meet and Match: Online 20-30 minute discussions between artists and hosts | invite only
- On Residence offers
After all Expressions of Interest are received, Dancehouse will engage 4 independent dance artist advisors to provide artistic assessment and suggested shortlists for all On Residency opportunities.
Host partners will review this feedback and nominate up to three artists for a Meet and Match. The Meet and Match meetings give both artists and host partners time to meet each other digitally and to discuss more specific questions and ideas about the opportunity including availability, scheduling, community engagement and logistics. You can also share expectations or wishes of each other.
If both the artist and host partner are well-matched, interested and available, Dancehouse will invite both to be On Residence in 2021/22.
Tuesday 4 May (9am): Expressions of Interest OPEN
Tuesday 1 June 2021 (Midnight): Expressions of Interest CLOSE
June 2021: Meet and Match with Venue Partners
July 2021: On Residency Offers
July 2021 — June 2022: On Residence begins
On Residence Requirements
Artists aren’t required to produce any artistic outcomes or products as part of On Residence however, all participants are required to attend the compulsory meetings and offer some form of engagement with the local community.
Pre-Residency: Dancehouse will host an online get-together for all On Residence artists and host partners to meet each other as a group.
On Residence: In negotiation with the host partner, some kind of offer to the local community: a talk, class, sharing, workshop or studio visit.
Post-Residency: Dancehouse will convene a program of sharing with all On Residence host partners and artists. This will be no longer than 5-7 minute sharing per residency.
A debrief conversation and short survey with Dancehouse following your residency to give us feedback on the pilot program.
Artists and On Residence host partners may be invited to an additional opportunity to connect with Dancehouse’s international and national partners.
- Dancehouse will contract all On Residence participants so that you have Workcover insurance for the duration of your residency.
- The On Residence fee offer is set but how this is allocated can be re-configured based on the artists’ needs. For example, it might suit you to do: two weekends with 6 collaborators; or as an individual stay four weeks part-time; or use a grant to extend your stay. Per Diems are capped at 2 x full-time weeks for 1 person (2 x $372.04).
- Each host partner will have specific parameters or requirements — please review this carefully when considering which residency might best suit you and your project.
- Any Australian artist is eligible for On Residence. In this pilot year, travel and accessibility costs are only available from within Victoria.
- On Residence is offered to independent artists’ for projects with a view to future presentation at Dancehouse and/ or with a local host partner from 2022.
- Circumstances may change! Dancehouse and host partners will always do their best to honour and be flexible to artist’s needs. Additionally, if an extra opportunity presents itself, we might be in touch.
- Do not go over the 1 page limit per attachment in the Expression of Interest form. Only the first page will be considered.
On Residence has been generously supported by the Playking Foundation